Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hunter bot, simplified.

Everyone, thank Tasha (my wife). She said something to me the other day that really got me going on the hunter bot, and actually inspired me to write some real code. She said, "Just write it."

I've been spending so much time thinking about the hithertoo's and whyfor's about it that I haven't touched a single line of relevant code. My biggest problem is and has always been a combination of over-thinking and over-planning. Many of my project concepts are huge ideas - my web game that'll never be built is a prime example of this. It's so large that it would require a team of people as dedicated to it as I am in order to actually happen, but that's a pipe dream.

So in following Tasha's advice, I've managed to get a very simple prototype hunter bot working. To do this, I've opted for a far simpler strategy: instead of following a walkpath, the user selects a 'camp spot', and the system brings viable targets to the camp spot to kill them.

I decided to do this for one primary reason: it'll help me get something out the door. Features can always be added later - with the Workflow system I wrote for Autocrat, this is easy as pie, once I've figured out the logic. But for now, I'd like to get something out to everyone whose waited so long for it - and the camp-bot is it. I'll have a beta version available very soon.

No comments: